(CARLSBAD, CA) – Perhaps you’ve heard the saying, “You are what you eat.” Guess what? It’s actually true! Countless studies over the past decade show that food not only affects your energy level and physique, but it actually impacts your risk factor for a myriad of health maladies. Some of the most recent health studies indicate that certain nutritional powerhouses can even minimize your risk for various forms of cancer.
Unfortunately, the anti-cancer diet is exactly opposite of what most Americans typically eat. Colorful fruits and vegetables and unsaturated fats top the list of nutritional cancer fighters, foods that tend to be lacking in our daily diet.
Jazzercise Founder and CEO Judi Sheppard Missett combines solid nutrition with her dynamite workout regimen to stay healthy and ward-off disease. Here are a few cancer-fighting foods that Missett recommends to keep your immune system in tip-top shape.
- Avocados – These mean, lean, green machines have been documented to stop or kill the growth of pre-cancerous cells. And according to researchers at Ohio State University, avocados help people absorb four-and-a-half times more of the cancer-fighting lycopene from tomatoes. So, the next time that you slice up a tomato for your BLT sandwich or whip up a batch of homemade salsa, add a dose of avocado to the mix.
- Milk – It turns out that milk really does do a body good. The National Cancer Institute reports that women with the highest calcium intake from low-fat dairy foods minimize the odds of stomach, esophageal, and colon cancer by up to 23 percent. Try drinking a tall glass of skim milk with dinner or add some low-fat yogurt to your lunch smorgasbord.
- Plums – While blueberries have always been touted as the king of antioxidants, recent research from Texas A&M University shows that plums are also anti-cancer powerhouses. Plums help to clear your body of free radicals, which are molecules that damage healthy cells.
- Green Tea – Packed with polyphenols, green tea helps reduce the growth of blood vessels that feed tumors. Look specifically for Japanese green tea, which is typically the most potent.
- Cruciferous Vegetables – Cruci-what?! Greens from a family of plants know as cruciferous veggies contain sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinols — molecules that detoxify the body and prevent pre-cancerous cells from growing into malignant tumors. Well-known cruciferous vegetables include cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower.
There is no particular food that can actually cure cancer. But, the sheer fact that good nutrition can lower your cancer risk should be enough to give healthy eating a try. Go ahead and add one or two of the recommended foods to your diet this week. What have you got to lose?
Jazzercise, created by Judi Sheppard Missett, is the world's leading dance-fitness program with more than 7,500 instructors teaching 32,000 classes weekly in the U.S. and around the globe. Since 1969, millions of people of all ages and fitness levels have reaped the benefits of this comprehensive program, designed to enhance cardiovascular endurance, strength, and flexibility. For more information on Jazzercise go to jazzercise.com or call (800)FIT-IS-IT or (760)476-1750.