(CARLSBAD, CA) – The sun, the sand, the surf, and the travel agents are ready. It’s summer, and it’s time for your annual vacation. Too bad that usually means a two-week hiatus from physical activity and fitness.
But, wait! This year can be different! There are many ways that you can sneak in a workout without disrupting the leisurely vacation that you have been craving all year. Jazzercise Founder and CEO Judi Sheppard Missett offers these top ten tips to maintain your workout while on vacation this summer.
1. Reset your expectations – It’s not likely that you’ll be able to keep up your full workout regimen while on vacation. So, don’t set unrealistic expectations for yourself. Remember that accomplishing just 40-50 percent of what you normally do is better than nothing!
2. Do your homework – Before you even leave town, investigate the workout facilities in and around your hotel. Some hotels offer fitness classes, gyms, even walking programs. Also, check for nearby parks with jogging trails or local gyms with day passes.
3. Pack it up – Your suitcase will easily allow room for a resistance band and a jump rope. Use the resistance band for upper and lower body strength-training moves. The jump rope provides an intense cardiovascular workout in a short bout of time.
4. Carry a load – Instead of packing one large suitcase with rollers, try distributing your luggage between two smaller suitcases. Then, balance the weight of the two cases on each side of your body as you carry your bags through the airport. Your upper torso will feel the burn!
5. Take some steps – Strap on a pedometer and count your steps each day. Aim for 10,000 steps per day as you trek your way through your destination’s tourist sites.
6. Take a detour – If your vacation involves a long road trip, plan a day for a hike along the way. Check with the parks or forestry service in the areas along your route to find a trail that fits your fitness level.
7. Get adventurous – Rent a bike, kayak, or surfboard. Many rental shops also offer lessons. Try something new on vacation, and burn a few calories while you’re at it!
8. Make a splash – Lounging by the poolside is a common activity during summer vacation. So, while you’re lounging, why not hop in the pool every half-hour for a swim? If you’re not a strong swimmer, try walking through water that is higher than waist deep. The simple act of moving against the water’s resistance will provide a moderate workout.
9. Catch up with family – Many vacations involve visits to relatives, near and far. This year, instead of chatting about the latest news over chips and salsa, invite Aunt Sue for an evening stroll around the neighborhood. Enjoy some quality time with your family while doing something good for your body at the same time.
10. Come prepared – Check the weather for your vacation destination and be sure to bring comfortable workout gear. The last thing you need is one more reason to ditch your workout plans!
Jazzercise, created by Judi Sheppard Missett, is the world's leading dance-fitness program with more than 7,500 instructors teaching 32,000 classes weekly in the U.S. and around the globe. Since 1969, millions of people of all ages and fitness levels have reaped the benefits of this comprehensive program, designed to enhance cardiovascular endurance, strength, and flexibility. For more information on Jazzercise go to jazzercise.com or call (800)FIT-IS-IT or (760)476-1750.