Sep 24 2015
Hairstyles for Hitting the Gym
Ok, while we get that the purpose of the gym is to focus on our fitness goals, we also don’t see anything wrong with wanting to look cute while working towards them. Some may call it vanity; we prefer to call it being fashionable AND functional. Plus, we’re pretty sure we can hold a plank for a lot longer with a cute hairstyle—and that’s just science.
We’ve come up with some tips for making sure your hair is getting—and staying—in just as good as shape as the rest of you!
1. Pre-workout prep. You throw on a sports bra and an extra swipe of deodorant (at least we hope) before exercising, right? Treat your hairstyle to the same pre workout care by spritzing it with a little moisturizing spray or hair sunscreen (yes, it’s a thing) if you’re going to be exercising outdoors or in the pool. Your post workout gym hair will thank you, and you’ll have a lot less damage control to contend with (think: tangles, knots, discoloration).
2. Think outside the pony. Ordinary ponytails are boring. There, we said it! The good news is gym hairstyles can be cute and also take no more than a few minutes to pull off. For anyone that hasn’t heard of Pinterest before, a boatload of super cute gym hairstyle ideas complete with instructions exists. A few of our simple yet adorable favs:
- Pony braid: It’s simply a braided ponytail. You’ll need two hair ties. Total style time: 60 seconds.
- Braided bun: Taking the braided pony a step further, twist your braided ponytail into either a high or low bun and secure. Requires three hair ties. Total style time: 1.5 minutes.
- Fishtail: A classic braid with a cute twist—and serious extra hold! Requires one hair tie—and the ability to make a fishtail braid. Total style time: 3 minutes (slightly less for braiding pros).
3. Wash less, condition more. We realize we may be breaking the mold here, but unless you’re swimming, don’t feel as though you have to wash your hair after every single workout, as this could be unnecessarily drying out your luscious locks. However, DO condition the ends of your hair post-exercise. Either run a conditioner through wet hair in the shower or spray a conditioning spray directly onto dry hair.
So whether it’s before, during, or after a workout, making sure your hair is looked after in the same way your muscles are, will keep your hair healthy and happy…oh, and looking super cute!
If you care to share, tell us what your favorite hairstyle is for working out?