With summer vacation just around the corner, it’s time to start planning some fun summer travels!
Time away during the hottest months of the year provides a much-needed, well-deserved hiatus to unwind, celebrate and rejuvenate. However, a more relaxed state of mind can also result in more relaxed diets and workout routines, making staying fit while traveling a challenge.
The good news is that using just a few simple guidelines, we will show you how to stay healthy and also how to stay fit without having to munch solely on celery sticks or lock yourself away in your hotel gym during your entire trip!
Tips for Exercising While En Route:
- Flight delayed? Power walk the terminals rather than taking the tram, people movers or trying to hitch a ride from airport cart.
- Do mini crunches on a plane or in a car by lifting both knees to your chest while seated and repeat.
- Try mini stretches you can do in your seat like circling your wrists, ankles and head to keep yourself limber—and sane!
- On especially long flights, lunge up and down the aisles. You might get some looks, but they’ll probably secretly want to join you!
Tips for Exercising Once You’ve Arrived:
- Reset your expectations. Keep in mind you’re on vacation, and while you probably won’t exercise to the same extent you do at home, even small modifications can make a world of difference.
- Say no to segway tours. They’re awkward anyway! Instead, opt to walk or bike around town or to tourist attractions. Set a daily goal for your steps and track them with a pedometer.
- So luggage weight regulations will probably prevent you from packing your dumbbells and kettle balls, but how about taking light workout equipment that packs a punch like resistance bands or a jump rope?
- Or forget the equipment all together and do full body, high intensity circuits like jumping jacks, pushups, lunges and planks. Use a fitness app like “7 Minute Workout” to help guide you.
- Carry a backpack loaded with essentials like sunscreen and healthy snacks to add resistance and extra calorie burn to your walks.
- Use your hotel pool for a half-hour swim or waist-high resistance walk through the water and earn your poolside lounging!
- Get adventurous. Get out of your comfort zone and try something new like kayaking or surfing. Make fun memories while also burning calories!
Tips for Healthy Eating While Traveling:
- Sample a wide variety of delectable foods rather than feast on them. Moderation is key.
- Allow yourself one “treat” or dessert item a day. After that, opt for healthy snacks like fruits and vegetables.
- Water is your best friend. Staying hydrated makes you feel full and less likely to splurge.
- Hide the minibar key and stock your hotel room with healthy snack choices. Removing the temptation to raid the room’s fridge between meals and tourist activities will be easier on your waistline—and your wallet!
Wherever your travels take you this summer, we wish you health, happiness and lots fun! Oh, and be sure to take lots of pictures!