Summer sun. Morning run. Poolside. Umbrella drinks and sweet strawberry lemonade. Ahhh. Sounds relaxing, right? Believe it or not, this scenario can be a recipe for dehydration. From sluggishness to headaches to reduced metabolism, the slightest degree of water deprivation can cause some pretty significant damage. Yikes!
It’s easy to underestimate how essential hydration is. A 2% dip in hydration levels can impair body processes and performance levels. Staying hydrated helps flush toxins, reduce bloat and strengthens your muscles. Plus, it supports glowing skin and mood.
How can you stay hydrated in summer heat? These seven simple tips can help keep your body healthy and feeling great.
Tips for Staying Hydrated:
- 8x8: Drink 8 glasses of water by 8pm every day. Your body may need even more depending on your overall health and activity levels.
- Keep a bottle filled with water at your desk. When it’s empty, you’ve got a perfect excuse to get up, stretch and refill it.
- Did you know the body often mistakes “hunger” for thirst? Drink a glass of water with every meal so your body knows the difference.
- Hydrate before, during and after a workout, especially when participating in high intensity or outdoor workouts.
- Fill up on water-based fruits and veggies like cucumber, celery, watermelon and strawberries.
- Mix up your beverage repertoire with electrolyte-rich coconut water or DIY “spa water.” Add cucumber, lemon, lime, mint, berries - whatever you’ve got - to cold water and voila! A totally hydrating, healthful mocktail. Note: be mindful of sports drinks that are high in carbs and sugars.
- Track your water like you do your food with free apps like iDrated or Waterlogged.
Your future hydrated self thanks you!